3 minute read
I recently had the chance to chat with Jazmynn Cymone, founder of the blissfully scented, J’aroma Candles. Check out our interview as she talks about success, eco-friendliness, and the rising entrepreneur startup scene in Detroit, MI.
- Please introduce yourself and your business, J’aroma Candles, to our audience?
- My name is Jazmynn Cymone and I am the owner of J’aroma Candles. J’aroma Candles is a candle company based out of Detroit. The candles I produce are earth friendly, strong, and ………. I like to think they are very swanky! The look of them are just very swanky to me.
- How did you get started in the candle industry?
- I am just a very hands-on, do-it-yourself type of person. Well, I was laying in the bed one day, scrolling through the internet on my phone. I read something about making your own candles and I wanted to do it, I wanted to try it! I ordered the supplies the same night, I practiced the first day they arrived at my door and I just kept practicing. I lit one of them one day and it just smelled so good. A light bulb lit in my head, I was like “okay Jaz you got something here”. The rest was history.
- Each candle is hand-made, and eco-friendly (wonderful!). What are some of the benefits of using eco-friendly candles?
- Well, there are lots of benefits to soy wax And the soy wax is eco-friendly. But, the most important thing about a candle that is friendly to the environment is that it won’t be releasing any toxins, carcinogens or what have you into the air that you are breathing. Those pollutants that are released when you light other candles can be very harmful to you.
- If you had to pick your favorite candle scent for this season, which one would you choose, and why?
- Hmmmmm! My favorite scent for this season would have to be Starburst because it’s just one of those scents are irresistible right now. It has been my best seller for months now. People LOVE IT!
- What are some of the biggest challenges and rewards that you’ve encountered as a small business owner?
- The biggest challenges for me are Founder Dependence and Fatigue. It’s so hard to let go of something that you built or are trying to build anyway, and trusting someone else to fill in the gap is hard for me. It’s hard for me to let go of certain decisions and responsibilities when I believe that no one else thinks like I do, so they might make the wrong decision, or do or say the wrong thing, something I wouldn’t want for J’aroma Candles. And with the fatigue, there are just some very long hours. It’s like I refuse to go punch a clock, but the hours of working a business is nothing compared to working a 9 to 5. It’s an all-day-job. Most days I am up from sun up to sun down, all most until the sun is back up again. The work is constant, it never stops; especially in the beginning stages where building is still the main focus. I think the rewards are just hearing some of the reactions from customers, and the fact that they really enjoy the aromas I produce. That makes me happy! I also enjoy meeting new people, new customers and other entrepreneurs.
- Your business is based in Detroit Michigan (Awesome!). We’ve heard that a big up-and-coming wave of startups is emerging there. Can you provide us with more details about the startup scene there?
- Well yes! The city predominantly supports entrepreneurs to uplift Detroit. The city was on a big spiral downfall and they are working to help bring it back to life, and entrepreneurs are a big help in doing so. There are a lot of programs and organizations to be a part of that will give great resources for startups. Tech entrepreneurs, however, have a big advantage because the Accelerators support them big time! I guess the city is trying to catch up in the technology world, but they give lots of seed funding and support to tech startups.
- Favorite inspirational quote?
- “Never wish life were easier, wish that you were better” –Jim Rohn