The Tokyo District Court has said on Friday that it has extended the detention period of former Nissan board’s chairman Carlos Ghosn until 22nd of April to allow the prosecutors some time to bring formal charges against him or setting him free.
Ghosn was arrested for the fourth time last week on a suspicion that he had tried developing himself at the expense of Nissan to tune $5 million. It has said that this amount has been transferred to an Oman account from Nissan and all the money has been spent on a luxury superyacht. The prosecutors are looking into these allegations.
Ghosn hasn’t been formally charged on these allegations yet. The tycoon has already faced three challenges, and two of them are related to some millions of dollars that he took in the name of salary and have been concealed from the investors.
The third challenge is that Ghosn sought to shift the personal investment losses to the company’s books. Ghosn has denied all the charges and lashed out in a video message which was shown on April 9th. In that video, he termed all these things as a plot against him which was designed by the backstabbing executives from Nissan. Ghosn’s wife Carole has become an important person in this case and was invested by the authorities on Thursday.
According to a close source, it has been proven that the $5M was funneled to a listed company from the British Virgin Islands and Carole Ghosn is the president of that company.
Last week, Nissan removed Ghosn from his position and appointed the French partner Renault SA’s chairman Jean Dominique Senard.